SaX2 won't accept nVidia clone (dual head) [long]
  • From: mlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 16:22:09 -0500
DELL Optiplex GX280 with onboard video, but I have
added a
PNY Technologies nVidia Quadro FX 1300 dual-head card.
The system BIOS shows that the primary video adapter
is now the nVidia. My two DELL P1110 monitors are
connected to the nVidia's video outputs, and nothing
is connected to the on-motherboard video.

It works beautifully in Win XP -- classic dual-head
mode at 1280x1024@85Hz.

I added a second SATA drive and installed SuSE 9.2 Pro
from CDs for dual boot. I cannot configure (in YaST
and SaX2) to use the nVidia card.

SaX2 always detects the on-board video (and somehow
detects ONE of the two DELL P1110 monitors that are
connected to the nVidia board. No displays are
connected to the onboard video connector.
SaX2 cannot detect the nVidia board. I can choose a
similar card from the SaX2 pick list, and then select
"Dual-Monitor", but then SaX2 cannot detect the two
monitors when the video-card setting is imposed.

SaX2 either quits abruptly or it writes two monitor
sections to xorg.conf, but at 640x480 only. If it
gets as far as the pre-confirmation "Test", then it
displays 640x480 on only one monitor. If I exit and
reboot, X and KDE come up with single display at
1280x1024@85Hz, which seems to be the "unused" onboard
video adapter. I'm guessing that the nVidia is accepting
the instructions intended for the other adapter and doing
the best it can. Again, there are no monitors physically
connected to the original on-motherboard video adapter.

I don't know how to persuade SaX2 to ingnore the
on-motherboard video (the way BIOS says to do), nor
do I know how to make SaX2 accept changes from its pick
lists.

When the system boots, the Linux startup messages
display on BOTH monitors, until X starts. Then one
monitor shuts off. So, something is being explicitly
shut off when X launches. In other words, it's not
that the nVidia is not there to be found. Rather it
is there to be deliberately ignored.

Any suggestions? I have updated all packages (including
nVidia driver) via YOU. That was the preferred instruction
in the "SuSE 9.2-IA32" section of "nvidia-installer-HOWTO#1".

Is there something that I should edit directly in xorg.conf?
Is there a section that I should include in a future post
for your examination?

Thank you for your time.

Kevin

--

The information contained in this electronic mail transmission may be
privileged and confidential, and therefore, protected from disclosure. If