Re: [SLE] Dual-booting...or trying, heh
  • From: Darryl Gregorash <raven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 16:00:33 -0600
Catimimi wrote:

Did I understand your problem, and is this a solution to it ?

I think the answers are going to be "yes" and "yes"

As far as I know, there is no solution with Lilo.

I thought so too, until I was preparing my first reply to the OP, when I found the "map-drive" statement in the lilo.conf manpages. It uses hexadecimal notation for the drives, hda corresponds to 0x80. The manpage description seems to imply that the statement is valid only in an "other" section.

But GRUB still is much easier to install, and easier to reconfigure when you make changes -- even though sometimes you actually must edit the drive.map file too, which I think will be necessary in this case. Already OP's device.map contains the line "(hd0) /dev/hda", and he just needs to add a new line: "(hd1) /dev/hdb" (this will corresponde exactly to your example menu.lst).

Also, some people might wonder why there is no "makeactive" line in your example file; of course, the reason for this is that partition was marked active when win98 was installed, and this has not changed.

< Previous Next >