Re: [SLE] Problems with GRUB and changing hard drives...
  • From: Dylan <dylan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 01:10:27 +0000
On Friday 11 Feb 2005 00:53 am, Darryl Gregorash wrote:
> Vince Littler wrote:
> >On Thursday 10 February 2005 12:30 pm, Clayton wrote:
> >><snip>
> >>If hda is removed or replaced,
> >
> >There's your problem. If it is removed, all the other drives will
> > say whoopee and promote themselved 1 letter.
>
> Are you absolutely certain of this? In DOS/Windows, it is true that
> the primary partitions all get lettered before extended ones, so the
> very first primary partition is always C:, and the next (unhidden)
> primary partition (usually a primary partition on the slave) is
> always D:

Indeed, and this behaviour is a PITA.

> What I am not sure of is whether or not removing the primary master
> device will automatically promote the primary slave (if it exists,
> and assuming you could even get past the POST) in the BIOS tables,
> from device 0x81 to 0x80. But I do not think such a system would even
> successfully complete the POST.

No, AIUI the device names will remain the same, and indeed there should
be no reason why the system shouldn't boot linux on a machine with no
hda (assuming an appropriate setup.) As to whether it would pass the
POST, a box with NO hard drives should (booting from floppy or CD) so I
see no reason why a 'missing' hda would be a problem.

<SNIP>
> >The cdrom cannot be /dev/hdb, only a real HD will take this
> > designation. Some confusion of terminology here. How do you derive
> > its name?
>
> This I know to be incorrect, even in Win2K.

Indeed. The device hdx can be any IDE drive. /dev/cdrom is merely a link
to the relevant /dev/hdx. From a device point of view, the only
difference between a CD and a HD is that one is read-only and the other
is read-write (in the relevant sense.)

It might help if the OP showed us the contents of /boot/grub/menu.lst

Dylan

--
"I see your Schwartz is as big as mine"
                                  -Dark Helmet