Re: [SLE] Problems with GRUB and changing hard drives...
  • From: Darryl Gregorash <raven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 00:10:38 -0600
Dylan wrote:

What I am not sure of is whether or not removing the primary master
device will automatically promote the primary slave (if it exists,
and assuming you could even get past the POST) in the BIOS tables,
from device 0x81 to 0x80. But I do not think such a system would even
successfully complete the POST.

No, AIUI the device names will remain the same, and indeed there should be no reason why the system shouldn't boot linux on a machine with no hda (assuming an appropriate setup.) As to whether it would pass the POST, a box with NO hard drives should (booting from floppy or CD) so I see no reason why a 'missing' hda would be a problem.

There seems to me to be a rather fundamental difference between an IDE controller with no drives attached to it, and one with just a slave-configured drive attached to it. I'll try to remember to give this a test on my next upgrade; I don't think that will be very long in coming, as 9.0 has just about outlived its desirability here (it's upgrade a lot of software versions only, or upgrade the OS version and get the app upgrades as a bonus-- and gcc has never successfully compiled anything anyway). Another interesting test would be to put both drives of a 2-drive system on teh secondary controller.

Indeed. The device hdx can be any IDE drive. /dev/cdrom is merely a link to the relevant /dev/hdx. From a device point of view, the only difference between a CD and a HD is that one is read-only and the other is read-write (in the relevant sense.)

Isn't a CD an ATAPI device, which is AIUI simply SCSI emulation over IDE. I recall reading somewhere that the ATAPI command set is a subset of SCSI. I don't think hard drives are ATAPI devices.

It might help if the OP showed us the contents of /boot/grub/menu.lst

That is certainly what we need to see first, and perhaps also device.map, though the latter shouldn't be critical.

< Previous Next >