RE: [SLE] Motherboard / Memory problems?
  • From: "Anders Norrbring" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 15:23:14 +0100
> > Could the problem be that the MSI motherboard somehow can't handle the
> > TwinMOS 2GB setup? If so, what recommendations for another mobo can you
> > people give me?
> >

> I've never used that particular board but I've had good luck with MSI
> boards
> in the past. Did you check on MSI's site to see if the TwinMOS RAM is
> supported? MSI gives a detailed list of acceptable RAM for it's boards.
> You
> may also need to adjust the RAM settings in BIOS. MSI warns that the
> default
> RAM setting may not work for all RAM and they allow detailed RAM
> configuration. The RAM manufacturer may have recommended settings you can
> use
> for this.

The MSI board states that: "Note: PC3200 (DDR400) maximum 4 banks only."
How would I know how many banks there is?

I'll do some experimenting with lower memory speeds, like setting it to
266MHz instead of 400MHz. A cheap and quick fix is a newer mobo, perhaps
with Nvidia's nForce2 chipset, apparently it's more tolerant with memories?

Anders.