Re: [SLE] Motherboard / Memory problems?
  • From: "L. Mark Stone" <lmstone@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 10:45:06 -0500
On Friday, February 11, 2005 08:29 am, Anders Norrbring wrote:
> My problems starts during installation, I've tried SLES9, SuSE Pro
> 9.1 and 9.2, all three versions does somewhere during the
> installation with a kernel panic.
>
> When I do an installation with another memory, one Kingston HyperX
> 512MB module, everything workes fine.

Anders,

The memory may be fine, but your motherboard may have an issue.

I would (in order):

1. Install the latest BIOS update for your motherboard. After the
install, use the BIOS setup routine to configure ALL of the "Default"
settings, then go back and make any changes necessary to accommodate
your other hardware.

1a. Check your mobo manual regarding installing additional RAM, there
are sometimes specific requirements about which slots to populate, in
which order, and possibly BIOS interleaving settings to tweak.

2. Change the BIOS settings to use manual memory configurations, and
make them very conservative (e.g., if the memory is CL2, use CL3 for a
wait state). Some Phoenix BIOSs also have a "performance" option,
usually this is set by default to "Optimal" but a more conservative
setting is "Normal".

3. Reduce the FSB speed. I have an old Asus A7V133 that runs fine with
one 512MB stick at a 133 MHz FSB, but when I put a second stick in I
get lockups unless I knock the FSB down to 100MHz. And the memory is
from Crucial.

Hope this helps,
Mark

A Message From... L. Mark Stone

Reliable Networks of Maine, LLC

"We manage your network so you can manage your business."

477 Congress Street
Portland, ME 04101
Tel: (207) 772-5678
Web: http://www.rnome.com