Re: [SLE] reiser or ext3
  • From: Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 11:50:44 -0500
On Friday 11 February 2005 11:42 am, devosc wrote:
> I saw a thread a while back about reiser, and then I also saw a
> comment that ext3 is also a reiser variant, so which one to choose?
>
> I've had a couple of instances where the hd got corrupted and I was
> unable to recover the disk, in both cases reiser was the file sys.
>
> If I now choose ext3, will trying to recovery the disk be any harder,
> easier, or more reliable?
EXT3 is NOT a reiser variant. It is a journaling extension to EXT2.
I won't comment on the reliability. We are running the BLU server with EXT3
and have not had a problem, but my home and work systems are SuSE with
ReiserFS and I have not had any problems with ReiserFS per se. (In the
past, I had both memory and power supply issues that caused some corruption
that Reiser corrected).

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
Boston Linux and Unix user group