Re: [SLE] reiser or ext3
  • From: devosc <devosc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 11:03:30 -0600
Ok.. well I think that I've been susceptible to the power related
issue corrupting th hd and recently when it happened I wasn't able to
recover ( i got kicked out of graphical boot mode).

So I've now got a new power supply (400W continous supply) and a
Seagate hard drive (with S.M.A.R.T).

So I would like to install the new Seagate drive as my master, and at
this moment have the choice for file sys.

I also have an existing WesternDigital hd (which I don't think has
S.M.A.R.T support)

But in my bios I've enabled S.M.A.R.T, and I'm hoping that [a] there
are no real conflicts, e.g. because one drive supports it and the
other doesn't, because [b] I'm going to also enable smartd in YaST.

the WesternDigital, I'm using as my slave drive, but given its history
I'm weary about even assigning any partitions to this drive, and am
thinking of it as merely a dumping ground for my backup data. This
drive is currently reiser.

I was told that ext3 has journalling stuff so as to help it recover...
but then from a thread here I was under the impression that reiser may
also do something similiar, in particular in response to a question
about recovering from hard reboots.

I use the machine as a local development server so it is on 99% of the time..

So just stick with reiser and hope for the best ?

G.