Re: [SLE] reiser or ext3
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 20:32:02 +0100 (CET)

The Friday 2005-02-11 at 11:03 -0600, devosc wrote:

> I was told that ext3 has journalling stuff so as to help it recover...
> but then from a thread here I was under the impression that reiser may
> also do something similiar, in particular in response to a question
> about recovering from hard reboots.

Both are journalling filesystems. Reiser is older, probably more advanced
(or more features) and development is quite active. Ext3 is newer, but it
is based on ext2 (no journalling), which is older (about the same as
Linux, I think). An ext3 partition can be mounted as ext2, and there are
more recovery tools. It is "probably" more stable, and also "probably",
slower. Reiser is very good with small files.

More differences... SuSE admin book compares all FS available: read it.

I use both.

--
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson