Re: [SLE] reiser or ext3
  • From: Sid Boyce <sboyce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 07:49:26 +0000
Carlos E. R. wrote:
The Friday 2005-02-11 at 11:03 -0600, devosc wrote:

I was told that ext3 has journalling stuff so as to help it recover...
but then from a thread here I was under the impression that reiser may
also do something similiar, in particular in response to a question
about recovering from hard reboots.

Both are journalling filesystems. Reiser is older, probably more advanced
(or more features) and development is quite active. Ext3 is newer, but it
is based on ext2 (no journalling), which is older (about the same as
Linux, I think). An ext3 partition can be mounted as ext2, and there are
more recovery tools. It is "probably" more stable, and also "probably",
slower. Reiser is very good with small files.

More differences... SuSE admin book compares all FS available: read it.

I use both.

In chronological order ....
Minix, ext, ext2, reiserfs3, ext3 and coming up reiserfs4.
ext, ext2 and ext3 are related or at least from the same source, reiserfs4 is not backwards compatible with reiserfs3 and contains several speedups and refinements to reiserfs3 or more correctly a radical rewrite of reiserfs. Then there are JFS and XFS, again separate developments donated by IBM and SGI.
Linux supports multiple filesystem types, so there is nothing to stop you mixing as your fancy takes you.
Regards
Sid.
--
Sid Boyce .... Hamradio G3VBV and Keen Flyer
=====ALMOST ALL LINUX USED HERE, Solaris 10 SPARC is just for play=====