Re: [SLE] find command
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 19:23:05 -0800
John,

On Saturday 12 February 2005 18:35, John Sowden wrote:
> When using the find command, I am getting hundreds of 'permission
> denied' when not using the user root. I did a google search and
> found that I should add " 2>/dev/nul" to the line (obviously this
> needs an alias), but now I get one line of bash: /dev/nul:
> "permission denied"
>
> the complete line is: find / -iname filename 2>/dev/nul
>
> thoughts?

You've been told about the proper name for /dev/null.

However, for such simple invocations of find, you really should be using
the "locate" command. It's far faster, won't be restricted from
disclosing files in unreadable sub-directories and will be far easier
on your hard drives.

"man locate" for all the details.

> John Sowden

Randall Schulz