Re: [SLE] apt-get uncovers dependency mismatch ?
  • From: "Carl E. Hartung" <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 01:08:17 -0500

Mikus Grinbergs wrote:
| How is it possible that today's running of 'apt-get upgrade'
| (or of YOU?) uncovered a "dependency mismatch" that was not
| identified earlier ?
|
| mikus

Hi Mikus,

I know it's a bit confusing and kind of a slow read, but I suggest you
review the man page for apt-get again. If what you've described is
correct, it looks like you've taken things out of sequence:

'apt-get update' makes your system aware of new packages and updates,
i.e. those that have become available since the last time you ran
apt-get update.

'apt-get upgrade' ** the last sentence in man for this command reads:
"An update must be performed first so that apt-get knows that new
versions of packages are available."

HTH & regards,

- - Carl

- --