Re: [SLE] Dual-booting...or trying, heh
  • From: Darryl Gregorash <raven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 00:51:26 -0600
[OK, what have I started here? ;-) ]

Felix Miata wrote:

Darryl Gregorash wrote Sat, 12 Feb 2005 14:57:13 -0600:

AFAIK, DOS has never been able to mount C: on anything other than what it recognizes as the
first hard drive, and at the very least that is where it will place its MBR.

But we have tricks to make it think it's on the 1st HD....

Of course we do; without them, we'd all have to run W**doze too. Or Novell/DR-DOS, which I actually still have around here, in a big red box that everyone thinks on first sight is a copy of Netware -- nahh, not enough boxes, I tell them :-)

[no] OS/2 LVM capability, up to and including Warp4 FP13, which is when I
switched to SuSE. Did I miss something in all those fixpacks? Or even

Shortly after you left. Warp 4 became MCP (merlin convenience pack) after FP15.

Actually almost installed that -- then I bought a 40GB drive that my BIOS couldn't handle, so I upgraded the mainboard, and discovered OS/2 might have problems with that. So I bought a SusE6.2 book, and took the plunge :-)

Great DOS apps are why I still run OS/2 24/7. Mebbe someday I can figure out
how to make them work as well on Linux. (without installing OS/2 in a VM. ;-) )

Just write a DOS emulator, which we can call DINE -- then with the Win emulator that is already out there, we'll be able to wine and dine with Linux.

(OK, OK, I won't give up the day job.)

Following is prepped to boot from OS/2 on /dev/hdc1 as C: ....

I'll take a closer look at this when my eyes aren't trying to slam shut. Definitely interesting -- and different.

Pid07= warning : Active (bootable), but not on 1st disk
Requires modern BIOS or smart MBR code to boot

Translation: anything other than a MS MBR.

< Previous Next >