Re: [SLE] WMV files - Suse 9.1
  • From: "Carl E. Hartung" <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 02:43:20 -0500

perlcgi2000 wrote:
<snip>
| How do I convert wmvs to mpgs ? I tried to get
| kaffeine & mplayer working with no joy.
|
| So I'm thinking that converting them to mpgs is a
| better idea.
|

| Thanks,
| Nathan

Hi Nathan,

You really don't need or want to do that. It is a PITA! ...takes a lot
of time... sucks up disk space... you have to remember umpteen different
conversion parameters depending on what platform and which software was
used to produce which file (same extensions doesn't mean same encodings
- -- there are families of codecs, including versions just as in
software.) It just isn't worth it, even if you only have to do it
infrequently.

Can you give me a brief outline of what you have installed so far?
Also, I just remembered... Check to see if you have mozplugger installed
- -- it appeared on my system (9.2) by default. It's a great utility
depending on how your system is used, but for A/V playback especially it
seems to intercept and divert calls to handlers that would otherwise be
processed by mplayerplug-in. You don't /have/ to remove the whole
package, just go to /usr/lib/browser-plugins and mv mozplugger.so to
.so.bak. It may also be living in or symlinked to
/opt/mozilla/lib/plugins or /opt/MozillaFirebird/lib/plugins.

Post that outline of what you've got installed and what you've done so
far and I'll see if I can help you out.

regards,

- - Carl

- --