Re: [SLE] Package installation with yast
  • From: "Carl E. Hartung" <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 10:59:02 -0500

Hi Emilio,

SuSE Linux and YaST are very user-friendly and stable. The behavior you
describe is unusual. You *do* know that your 64 bit system needs the
package rpms ending in ".x86_64.rpm" don't you? Sorry ;-) but I have to
ask. If /that/ isn't the problem, your rpm database might be corrupted
(from a crash?) Try repairing it, as root, with the command
"rpm --rebuilddb".

One final idea, which really should come at the start: Did you run
memtest86 overnight on the machine first? Your symptoms could also be
explained by you just installing from DVD and rushing to add software
/without/ verifying the stability of your memory first. Unpacking rpms
and performing the installations can be a decent, if fairly modest,
'stress test' of your memory. I'd try this *first* to eliminate it as a
source of trouble.

Good luck and let me know if this helps, ok?

regards,

- - Carl

- --