Re: [SLE] Problems with GRUB and changing hard drives...
  • From: Darryl Gregorash <raven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 19:50:58 -0600
Clayton wrote:

If hda is removed or replaced,

There's your problem. If it is removed, all the other drives will
say whoopee and promote themselved 1 letter.

<snip>

This is opposite of my experience... as I detailed above.

I understand you to be saying that, with no devices on the primary IDE controller, whatever is master on the secondary indeed does become hda == (hd0). Is this correct?

Such behaviour seems contrary to my past experience, maybe it is a function of more recent hardware, as Felix Miata and others have suggested in this thread and elsewhere. If so, it is a welcome change from the past, even though it will mean a bit more that needs attention when maintaining a system -- until the old stuff disappears, anyway. OTOH, if it has always been that way since IDE was invented, then I'll just go out and change my name to Rip van Winkle :-)

Anyway, moot point since we solved it with a manual tweak of GRUB, and
a bit less hair (due to pulling it in various directions :-) )

It will grow back :-)

Glad to know you've resolved the matter, and apologies for any continued confusion I may have contributed along the way.

< Previous Next >