Re: [SLE] tkdesk question
  • From: U L Y S S E S <olivier.lichtenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 07:32:41 +0100

Tim Hanson wrote:

Is there a way I can get to those who put the packages together?

A couple of years ago, when I moved from one SuSE distribution to the
next, TkDesk broke on an unfound lib file.

For those who don't know about it, TkDesk is a little gem. It has few
of the hundreds of bloaty features of Nautilus or Konqueror, but once a
person disables the application launcher he is left with an incredibly
useful little program. It's a little "Unixey" for some people, but for
day-in, day-out file management nothing is faster. There is also a
little editor for script touch-ups.

It's a little difficult for first time users to try, however, when
invoking the program brings up only an error message about a lost lib
file. Fixing it requires putting the path to the file
in /etc/ld.so.conf, which is not something someone new to SuSE Linux
would know about. Attending to it is something those who put these
things together should have done a couple of years ago.

I'm on the verge of dusting off my programming skills and contributing
to the project, but it sure would be nice if SuSE users could actually
try it out without getting under the hood right away.

Merci Tim

That is exactly what I was looking for. Three months without this *great* TkDesk I use with several other very light and powerful file managers as FileRunner or mc, since SuSE 5.3 .

Even with 2Go of ram and two MP 2100+, Konqueror, if very good looking, is very, very heavy. And cant give for example a specific color and font for each file type; cant open an application window in a specific location of the desk when used from FVWM; very convoluted and labyrinthine as how to manipulate and edit the menus in text mode...

SuSE 9.2 installed TkDesk : u n u s a b l e !

But you should have make clear what was to be added in /etc/ld.so.conf and then what command inform the system of this new path without restarting the whole. SuSEconfig did not work. I feel very dumb. Using SuSE since 5.3 and I cant remember where I should have look. I finally pathetically used an "init 6"

You are right Tim : a gem!

O. L.