Re: [SLE] Textpad-like software for Linux
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 13:19:29 -0800
Pelibali,

On Tuesday 15 February 2005 10:21, pelibali wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 13:57:00 -0600
>
> . wrote:
> > But I _always_ recommend jEdit (www.jedit.org). Great editor, tons
> > of plugins to make it do just about anything you want, great
> > feature set. I'm not kidding, I'm not exgerrating, jEdit has
> > changed by coding life(for the better!) !!
> >
> > tdaniel

Amen, brother!!

> Thanks for your recommendation:)

> I'm sorry, now repeating the important 'needed' features, maybe
> somebody else would have an idea (all of them for plain text files):
>
> - sorting of text (case sens./insens./numeric), and as wished
> removing duplicated lines,

The "sort" command does this.

> - searching in files, and show the filename/line nr. where the
> string/regexp was found, or only show how many hits were there,

This is grep/egrep possibly followed by a pipe through "wc -l"

> (- smooth handling of regexps, mainly \n and \t containing ones;
> possibility to exchange something in all opened files.)

jEdit handles multi-line searching and replacing (i.e., having newlines
embedded in the match pattern and / or the replacement string). It can
apply changes to: a) a single file; b) all open files: c) all files in
a given directory with or without sub-directory traversal and with a
pattern filter on the names of the files processed.

> Thanks for your kind attention,

There's a limit to just how many esoteric functions should be built
directly into an editor.

In addition to my avid use of jEdit, I routinely use Vi (OK, Vim) as
well. Between Vi's / Vim's built-in editing abilities (the global
command alone is extremely powerful) its ability to filter file content
through external commands combined with the everyday (but also very
powerful) Unix text processing utilities give you everything you ask
for above (and a great deal more).

> Pelibali

Randall Schulz