Re: [SLE] Before I do this, is there annything I should be forewarned about?
  • From: David Herman <mesamoo115@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 14:31:55 -0800
On Tue February 15 2005 12:20 pm, Thomas Beasley wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Hopefully, in the next couple of days I will have the opportunity
> to upgrade my system from 9.0 Pro to 9.2 Pro. Are there any
> concerns that I should be aware of in carrying out this
> objective? I have been using SuSE since 6.4 days and this will be
> my first experience with the "Update Version". In the past, I've
> always bought the full version and have not experienced any
> difficulty since the 7.2 install. Thanks in advance.

I just did this (actually an ftp install from 9.0 to 9.2) 2 weeks
ago.

I keep my home directory seperate from / and did a full install
rather than update. It worked well and so far I've been reasonably
happy.

Alot of people suggest that choosing update rather than fresh
install adds hours to the install and doesn't always work as
desired.

My method is to do pretty much the recommended (new) install, but
taking control of my own partition selections. Once that completes
install apt4suse and synaptic. then use those tools for the rest of
my upgrades and installation. Works for me

The major problems I've run into are yast finding my epson scanner
just fine but not being able to test or use it and not telling me
that it wasn't working. I think this was fixed by a libusb upgrade
via apt4suse.

I spent the better part of the day monkeying around learning about
resmgr configuration and udev w/ no success before the update
appeared :-(. Its possible that something I changed fixed the
scanner issue but I believe it was the libusb update that really
made things work.

If more than 1 user is logged on then the additional users need to
run "startx -- : (screen#)" from a terminal (alt+ctrl+f2, etc) to
use the scanner. ie they can't use kde's switch user function to
log in if they want scanner access. Fortunately I don't think this
is an issue w/ my usb printer.

As Hans du Plooy mentioned in his hotplug question a few minutes ago
there is a definite lack of responsiveness for the first 10 or so
seconds after plugging in a usb storage device. Hopefully this can
be fixed. I found suseplugger only made things worse so I turned it
off for all users. I've also not been able to use my NeurosII mp3
player software (Sorune, perl based) to sync my collection since
the upgrade. W/ some configurations the sync operation has lead to
a rock solid lockup of my system. I've had no problems using it as
a removable disc though.

So far I really miss the old method being able to describe my
devices in the fstab and mounting them myself, all of my efforts in
this have failed so far. (I am looking for suggestions)

My wacom graphire tablet works well on the desktop but I haven't had
much luck getting gimp to reciognize it properly yet. (Sax has
always screwed up my XF86Config in this regard and it seems to be
continuing the tradition w/ xorg)

I'm pretty happy w/ the upgrade but I was just as happy w/ 9.0, I
only did the upgrade because it seemed that more and more of the
packages I wanted to compile were not simple ./configure, make,
make install affairs any longer. Some packages that I was really
interested in would not run in 9.0 (at my experience level). 9.2 is
a simple way to get these things working.

My suggestion would be NOT to upgrade unless you have a specific
reason or if you don't use alot of usb devices. It works well but
so did 9.0

Thats my fifteen cents, hope its useful
--
dh