Info vs. Man -- Konqueror to the Rescue!
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 17:11:14 -0800
Hi,

I wanted to share with the list a "discovery" I made recently. As some
may already know but I only just learned, the list of protocols /
schemes (as in the label preceding the ':' in an address entered in the
Konqueror location bar) is not only extensible, but quite extensive.

In particular, there's a scheme for displaying "info" files.

Those who routinely resort to the "man" command (often following the use
of the "apropos" or "man -k" command) will often find themselves
remanded to the info entry for complete documentation.

Furthermore, those who, like me, dislike the "info" program as a viewer
for info files may be pleased to know that Konqueror has a protocol
specifically for presenting info files. It presents info files in a
form far more accessible than the info command itself. You can think of
it as being an HTML conversion of a command's info files.

(At this point, I'll shamefacedly admit that until just today, when I
decided to check out its info entry, I was laboring under the
assumption, reinforced by the limited information included in its man
page, that the Gnu "sed" command did not support extended regular
expressions. Oh, how hard I've made my life by not looking into this
much sooner!)

To see the complete list of Konqueror protocols configured for your
system, run "kinfocenter" and select the "protocols" category. Some of
the protocols include a documentation string that explains their use.
If there's a KDE Menu entry for this, I don't know what it is. If
someone out there does, please enlighten me.

Randall Schulz

< Previous Next >