Re: [SLE] How to control text session?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 03:31:32 +0100 (CET)

The Monday 2004-12-20 at 15:33 -0700, Brad Bourn wrote:

This is old, but I was moving mail somewhere else, and saw this thread.

> I don't know if this is still relevant now or not, but I remember a few years
> ago a utility/script called kabitz or something like that. It required
> starting the shell / text app with the kabitz command though.
>

> I didn't find a google on it, does anyone else remember this one?
>
> B-)

Some weeks ago I was reading a book in bed, and I chanced on a Linux one
(Guia Avanzada Administración de Sistemas Linux - Linux System
Administration (translated to Spanish), Prentice Hall Iberia). And I
happened to look at what you mention (Atomization chapter).

The script is called "kibitz", and it is an "expect" script. It is
described to allow two or more users to collaborate into the same shell
session, reading and writing. It can support programs like vi and xemacs.

It says that almost every distribution of Linux has it, and... yes,
indeed, SuSE has it!

SuSE 9.1, package expect-5.40-27.i586.rpm

/usr/bin/kibitz
/usr/bin/xkibitz

also, perhaps,

/usr/share/doc/packages/perl-Expect/examples/kibitz

--
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson

  • No further messages