Apache2: Empty directory listings - client denied by server configuration
  • From: Guido Flohr <guido@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 21:30:26 +0100
Hi,

I want to allow directory listings with "Options Indexes". However, a request for the directory will return an empty listing, and for each file (regular and subdirectory) in the directory in question I get an error message "client denied by server configuration" in the error log.

This happens with apache2-2.0.50-7.3 from SuSE 9.2. I haven't touched a single configuration file except /etc/sysconfig/apache2. My private include file looks like this:

Listen 8100
<VirtualHost *:8100>
Options +Indexes

<Location />
Order deny,allow
Allow from all
</Location>

DocumentRoot /readable/by/apache/user
</VirtualHost>

The error message origins from mod_access.c, at least it is the only occurence that I have found in the sources. I have therefore experimented with other "Order"s but at no avail.

I have also tried to omit the "+" for Indexes, and, yes, it is the only option I use. I have tried it within <Directory> and <Location>, still no success.

I am absolutely clueless.

Thanks for your help,
Guido
--