Re: [SLE] Using rsync[Solved]
  • From: Susemail <susemail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 10:46:31 -1000
On Wednesday 16 February 2005 03:30, John Lamb wrote:
> Susemail wrote:
> > I'm trying to use rsync as root on machine A to backup to machine A a
> > test file from machine B but I'm having password problems:
> >
> > rsync -avz Linux:Test/ /data1/LinuxBackup
>
> You could try
>
> $ rsync -avz -e ssh Linux:Test/ /data1/LinuxBackup

This gave the same error message:

# rsync -avz -e ssh Linux:Test/ /data1/LinuxBackup
Password:
Password:
Password:
Permission denied (publickey,keyboard-interactive).
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes read so far)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(342)

> I use this and have no problems. Also, I tend to put a username in just
> to make sure I'm connecting correctly:
>
> $ rsync -avz -e ssh Susemail@Linux:Test/ /data1/LinuxBackup

But this worked like a charm:

# rsync -avz -e ssh adriel@Linux:Test/ /data1/LinuxBackup
Password:
receiving file list ... done
./
double-entry.html

So this is the line to backup / on Linux (B)?:

# rsync -avz -e ssh root@Linux:Test/ /data1/LinuxBackup
Password:root password on Linux

> Finally, you might want to copy ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub on the local machine
> into the appropriate directory ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on Linux. This
> allows ssh without a password, which is convenient if you run rsync
> regularly.

This is good to know.

> You should not need to run rsyncd on either machine for this to work.

How do I tell if it's running? How do I start/stop it?

> > "Linux:Test" is machine B. My root and user passwords don't work here.
> > What password should I use here? RSA?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jerome
>
> --