Trouble creating new rcXXXX service
  • From: "Richard Mixon (qwest)" <rnmixon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 13:02:24 -0700
Sorry to repost - I changed subject so its not perceived as a
Java/Tomcat issue. I thought this would be common SuSE issue. I have
read the /etc/init.d/skeleton files and do not find any reference to a
registry of services (other than /etc/init.d/*).

My problem is trying to clone existing script /etc/init.d/tomcat to a
new one (/etc/init.d/tomcat55) that runs a new version of the Tomcat
application server.

NOTE: We are running SLES9 on AMD64, but I assume the rc script
framework/conventions are the same on SuSE Pro 9.2 and SLES9 (that's why
I am posting on both lists). Apologies if this is not correct.

Anyway, I have SLES9 servers running the Jakarta Tomcat 5.0.19
application server that comes with SLES9. Due to some
clustering/failover problems I need to upgrade to the latest Tomcat
5.5.7 and apply some provided patches.

Here's what I did:

1. Expanded the ".gz" file in the home directory of the user that the
app server will run under.

2. Copied the /etc/init.d/tomcat script to /etc/init.d/tomcat55 and
changed the appropriate references to "tomcat" to "tomcat55".

3. Made corresponding adjustements to /etc/sysconfig/j2ee (actually a
copy called tomcat55 and referenced it from the init.d script).

4. I can now start and stop using "/etc/init.d/tomcat55 start" and
/etc/init.d/tomcat55 stop" with no problem.

5. However when I go to install the script it fails with these messages:
kingfish:/etc/init.d # insserv /etc/init.d/tomcat55
insserv: script tomcat.20050216a: service tomcat already provided!
insserv: script tomcat: service tomcat already provided!
kingfish:/etc/init.d #

Here is the header for my /etc/init.d/tomcat55 script:
#
# /etc/init.d/tomcat55
#
# and symbolic its link
#
# /usr/sbin/rctomcat55
#
# System startup script for the Tomcat servlet container
#
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides: tomcat55
# Required-Start: $local_fs $remote_fs