Re: [SLE] 9.2 scsi install: sym53c8xx: Unknown parameter `mpar'
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 06:26:27 -0500
Jim Osborn wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 19, 2005 at 1:13:25AM -0500, Carl E. Hartung wrote:

> > I posted the Linux driver and "Symbios tools utility" links but forgot
> > the BIOS flash utility.

> > - -->Link to the flash program:
> > http://www.lsilogic.com/downloads/license.do?id=2000&did=2839&pid=2234

> > - --> Link to the flash program readme doc:
> > http://www.lsilogic.com/files/support/ssp/sdms/Bios/FLASH.TXT

> A quick glance at that doc says that it does include the ability to
> save and restore the existing BIOS; that's the good news. The bad
> news is the opening line:

> "This document provides information for the PCI Flash Utility
> V1.14.00 for DOS."

> and looking through it, they seem to really mean it: DOS, no Linux
> anywhere in sight. I see only that one flash download on their page,
> and the zip file contains only the one .exe file, nothing Linuxy.
>
> This machine doesn't do DOS, so it seems that flash program won't
> help; let's hope I can get SuSE 9.2 to install with the current BIOS.

http://www.bootdisk.com/ if "doesn't do DOS" is simply because DOS is
not currently installed anywhere on the system, or you don't already
have some DOS boot floppy you can use long enough to run some flash
program. If you can't boot a floppy, then you can temporarily move the
HBA to some machine that can boot a DOS floppy.

The preferred method of LSI flashing is with no cables connected to the
HBA.

All that said, I seriously doubt there's any liklihood that flashing
will solve any of your problems. I may have had similar trouble. I say
"may" because I don't remember exactly what my problem was when I
couldn't install SuSE 9.1. All my earlier SuSE installs to SCSI were
with 2.4 kernels. My only successful 2.6 kernel installs to SCSI have
been on one system used for Mandrake Cooker that uses a slow old
SYM8751SP non LVD HBA.

I have 2 SuSE 9.2 systems now. Both require the sym53c8xx driver for
SCSI HD access. This machine is one of them, and uses the LSI21002 dual
channel HBA. 9.2 is installed to hda, in addition to OS/2 and PC DOS.
9.2 takes as long as 32 minutes to boot 9.2, and has SCSI bus error
delays using various utilities, if I have a certain Quantum Fireball HD
on the 8 bit bus. Mandrake 10.2 has similar problems with a newer 2.6.10
kernel, though not as bad. Removing the Quantum removes all the trouble
that I am aware of. DOS, Knoppix (2.4 kernel) and OS/2 have no SCSI
problems.

My other 9.2 system also uses the LSI21002. I originally tried to
install 9.1 to a Maxtor Atlas IV on it. Inexplicable SCSI installation
snags, the details of which are long forgotten, led me to try
scsitool.exe. The scsitool diagnostic told me there were bus problems
and pointed me to the Maxtor. I called Maxtor about it. Maxtor replaced
it with an Atlas V. The Atlas V improved nothing. So, I gave up and
installed to hda instead of the Maxtor on sda. Once installed, the
Maxtor seemed to give no problem to booted 9.1 and seems to give no
problem to booted 9.2.

What I do remember about the failed 9.1 install attempts was
substituting other older SCSI HBAs eliminated the bus errors. I don't
remember exactly which I substituted, but they could have been any of
SYM8951, SYM8952, SYM8953; and also SYM8751. The 8751 was suitable for
testing purposes only, as it provides suboptimal performance for the LVD
HDs. The SYM895x devices also were suitable only for testing, because
they have only the 68 pin bus, and the system uses SCSI for non-HD
devices, including CD for installation. Scsitool gave the errors only
with the 21002, and only with the Maxtor drives. Substiting an IBM HD
eliminated the bus errors during scsitool tests.

Oh, and I have all my LSI (SYM) HBAs flashed to the latest LSI BIOS.
--
"He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and
whoever lives and believes in me will never die." John 11:25 NIV

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/