Failure to find a shared printer
  • From: Kenneth Payne <kmp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 12:21:54 +0000
This problem may really be a Windows XP issue, but I'm posting here because
- let's face it - the people on this list are experts on everything.

I used to access an Epson Stylus Color 860 printer share on a Windows 98 box
from my SuSE Linux 9.0 machine using Samba. No problems. However, the Windows
98 machine has been retired and the printer is now on a Windows XP machine.

Now I cannot print to it from Linux.

Linux just doesn't see the share.

"smbclient -L host" returns all the shares on the XP machine. The printer is
not one of them.

File sharing, however, works fine.

Two other Windows 98 machines on the network also fail to see the share. So it
looks like this is not a Linux-to-Windows problem.

So I'm forced to conclude one of two things:

Either the Windows XP drivers for the printer do not allow networking or there
is some trick to sharing a printer on Windows XP that I do not know about.

This is quite possible as I use Linux almost exclusively these days and
Windows is just a fading nightmare as far as I'm concerned.

Does anyone have any observations or advice about how I should go about
trying to resolve the issue?

Best wishes

- Ken

< Previous Next >