Decent color laser printer
  • From: Thomas Long <tlong18@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 23:12:25 -0600
I don't know if anyone out there is looking for a good color laser printer,
but my wife and I found one (finally) - a Xerox Phaser 6100.

While its driver is not shipped with SuSE Linux 9.2, the included CD
automatically launched a setup utility for the installation of the driver and
a printer configuration tool. We did get a little thrown off course by the
utility when, upon attempting to "Add Printer," we were presented with a
login box (I was already running the utility as root). After several failed
attempts to log in with root's password (kept getting a message saying
"Authentication failed"), I checked the CUPS error log and realized it was
looking for a CUPS password for root - I never even knew CUPS could have its
own passwd file. I simply ran the 'lppasswd -a root' command, set a password,
and it worked great!

After having used Linux for over seven years, it's nice to see manufacturers
_finally_ shipping hardware with installation utilities for Linux!

- Thomas Long

--
Using SuSE Linux

< Previous Next >