Re: [SLE] Linux still surfs slower than Windows
  • From: BandiPat <penguin0601@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 16:22:14 -0500
On Monday 21 February 2005 01:26 pm, Christopher Carlen wrote:

> Thanks for the input.
>
> Perhaps you didn't notice that I'm running Win2k in a VMware virtual
> machine under Linux with bridged networking through the same physical
> interface as Linux is driving.
>
> So interestingly, that means it is the Linux hardware driver that is
> handling Windows' networking!
>
> Also I have a real physical Win2k dual boot, which is turned off when
> switching OSes, because it is a funny configuration:
>
> To make the Windows useable for security hazardous operations such as
> general surfing with IE, I gave it it's own hard drive. There is a
> switch on the front of the PC to select which hard drive to boot.
>
> So the Linux HD is actually unpowered when Win2k runs. Thus, the
> machine must be completely powered down when before switching HDs.
>
> Anyway, the performance of Win2k running on native hardware vs. VM is
> the same. Very good, vs. the Linux slooowness.
>
> Keep in mind, that some of the suggestions implemented thus far have
> improved Linux to the point of being very useable and in many cases
> almost the same as the Windows. Those being to use options timeout:1
> in /etc/resolv.conf, and some parameter changes in the browsers.
>
> So at this point I am continuing to investigate the root cause of the
> problem more for academic purposes. I'd like to get to the bottom of
> it. Is it highly probable that it is a DNS server quirk on the ISP's
> side of things.
============

Nope, sorry, didn't remember you mentioning you were running it inside
Linux in VMware. Now that brings up another thought and still to the
point of how Win might be affecting things in your setup. As I
mentioned, your Win times are about comparable to my Linux times with
all my browsers, so there is definitely something going on there that I
don't have here.

It will be interesting to see what you find. Of course, for a second or
two, I'm not sure I would put this much time into it, but I guess 2
seconds of a persons life each day is detrimental to his/her well being
if Windows is involved, huh? ;o)

keep us posted,
Lee

Registered Linux User #225206
Sign at college bookstore:
Accepted at more colleges than you were--VISA

< Previous Next >