Re: [SLE] SCSI bus reset?
  • From: Joe Brockert <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 15:37:29 -0600
Check out this link, http://i2o.shadowconnect.com/, these guys are
keeping up the i20 stuff. Basicly these adaptec/dpt cards were supported
well until 9.0, where they worked but you could not recover the raid.
Suse 9.1 no support at all. and with suse 9.2, spotty support. I've got
a dozen of these cards/machines and I can
get suse 9.2 to install with an out of the box driver...but suse will
frezze up after a little while. I've moved to adaptec 2120 and
things work OK....joe

On Mon, 2005-02-21 at 21:57 -0500, John Scott wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 19:41:03 -0800, Alex Daniloff <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I'm using SuSE9.2
> > The SCSI controller is
> > RAID bus controller: Adaptec (formerly DPT) SmartRAID V Controller (rev 01)
> > Vendor: Adaptec Model: 2000S FW:380E
> > ADAPTEC RAID-5 Rev: 380EDPTM
>
> Are you using the aacraid module for this card? I've got a 2200S and
> I've got similar issues with 9.1. I've tried booting from the 9.2
> disks and get the scsi resets and then a kernel panic. I even tried
> the beta for RHEL 4 and got the scsi reset and then a kernel panic.
>
> Went to Adaptec's site. Adaptec states that the latest firmware and
> drivers from their site work, but I haven't had any success. After
> going round and round with their support guys, they tried to say they
> didn't support 2.6 kernels until I sent them the url on their site
> that stated otherwise. Then they said they only supported the kernel
> that shipped on the disks - no kernel updates supported.
>
> I suspect that the aacraid module is having issues with the 2.6
> kernels. I've googled it and have come across quite a few posts with
> people having problems with Adaptec RAID cards and various distros.
>
> The only combo I found that was stable using my 2200S was to use a 2.4
> kernel distro with aacraid module. All the problems went away, but
> how long can you stay on 2.4 kernels and get vendor support? At some
> point, you move or you're on your own. My boss doesn't like that
> option.
>
> I've decided that I'm going to replace the Adaptec card with an LSI
> Logic MegaRAID card. I haven't had any problems with any of their
> cards yet (knock on wood). Guess I've got an expensive paper weight
> for my desk now.
>
> John

< Previous Next >