Move from single drive to software RAID
  • From: Chris Cameron <chris@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 08:01:53 -0700
Over the weekend I worked on moving my current SuSE 9.1 installation
from a single IDE drive to 2 RAID'd SCSI drives using software RAID.

I hooked up my SCSI drives with the IDE drive still attached, created
the following in YaST:

/dev/sda1 47M Linux Native
/dev/sda2 517.6M Linux RAID
/dev/sda3 33.6GB Linux RAID
/dev/sdb1 47M Linux Native
/dev/sdb2 517.6M Linux RAID
/dev/sdb3 33.6GB Linux RAID

/dev/md0 1GB MD RAID (From sda2 and sdb2)
/dev/md1 67.3GB MD RAID (From sda3 and sdb3)

md0 is formated swap, md1 is formated reiser. sda1 and sdb1 were
intended to be /boot, but not RAID'd. sd[a,b]1 were formated ext2.

I copied over all of / to md1, and all of /boot to sd[a,b]1, changed the
fstab on the md1 drive, changed Grubs menu.lst and installed Grub on
hd1 (as the IDE drive was still there, I assume hd1 was the first SCSI
drive). Just as a temporary step, I rebooted and had Grub come up from
the IDE drive. I edited the boot string for the SCSI drive, and told it
to boot. It started to boot, but stopped at (from memory, sorry)

Waiting for device /dev/md1 to appear:

So I'm thinking my SCSI card kernel module or the RAID module (or both)
aren't loaded by this point. To further add to that, I've found that
after a reboot trying to mount md1 from the command line doesn't always
work the first time.

Anyone know what's going on?

Thanks,
Chris