Re: [SLE] mounting external USB HD on SuSE 9.2
  • From: cms <cshanahan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 10:49:15 -0500
On Tuesday 22 February 2005 10:34, Prabu Subroto wrote:
> Dear my friends....
>
> I use SuSE 9.2. I just bought an external HD Trekstor
> 160 GB. This HD use USB 2.0.
>
> I don't know, how I can mount the HD.
> I tried to mount this way :
> mkdir /media/extusbhd
> mount /dev/st01 /media/extusbhd
> .
> but it did not work

SuSE 9.2 includes automount features which will try to automount any removable
device it recognizes when attached to your system. After you plug the external
HD into your system check /media/??? for the device. /media/??? is the default
location for the automounted devices, such as external HDs, thumb drives,
other block devices, etc.

Some people, myself included, do not like the automount features and prefer to
mount devices manually, with other options enabled. If, for some reason, you
are not using automount, you would probably mount the device as if it were a
SCSI block device (at least the kernel recognizes the device as a SCSI
device). For example:
mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/some_mount_point
^^^^^^^^
The -t option specifies the file system type, in this case I'm assuming you've
formatted the HD with the FAT32 file system, ' -t vfat'. If you formatted the
device using ext3 the option would read ' -t ext3'. The device, /dev/sda1,
refers to the first partition on the first SCSI block device.

HTH

Chris Shanahan