Update with LVM and Raid
  • From: Walter Haidinger <walter.haidinger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:02:28 +0100 (CET)
Hi!

Here is howto update SuSE 9.1 to 9.2 if you're using LVM for your system
partitions except root (e.g. usr, var, tmp, ...) and, optionally, on top
of RAID.

For the curious: Why not use LVM for the root filesystem too? Well, using
LVM for root should be possible too, but IMHO it's just too much hassle
for now. It requires an initial ramdisk _every_ time and is badly
supported by rescue media (if it all). Fortunately, as LVM support
improves, this won't be an issue in the future, I hope.

When trying to do a regular "Manual Update", you'll get a requester
telling you that Yast2 can't update because the partitions can't be
mounted (or something like that, I can't recall the exact wording). More
information is available from the Support Database:
http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2003/03/fhassel_update_not_possible.html

German installations will show you this link:
http://portal.suse.com/sdb/de/2003/02/fhassel_update_not_possible.html

Anyways, the SDB article provides useful information, but unfortunately
no whole solution. Here is what to do:

* First of all, before starting the update (either boot into the rescue
system or do this just before you reboot), edit your current /etc/fstab
(perhaps make a backup copy just in case...) and comment _all_
filesystems which are not required for the update.

Please note that the above is really IMPORTANT!

During the update process, Yast2 will ask you for the root partition of
the system to update. It reads the /etc/fstab from there and tries to
mount all filesystems listed. It seems to me, that Yast2 fails if it
cannot mount _all_ mounts listet there. Therefore, I'd recommend to
comment out any filesystem which is not required for the update.

* Boot with Installation-CD (either CD1 or ISO-image in boot directory of
FTP distribution)
* Select "Manuall Installation"
* Load your required kernel modules for the update if necessary,
e.g. network modules if you update over the network
* Whenever ready, select "Start Installation or System"
* Select "Start Installation or Update"
* Select your source medium
* After booting into Ramdisk, follow the Update until you're supposed to
"Select the partition or system to update"
* Now hit <Ctrl-Alt-F2> to switch to another virtual console
* Here is your last chance to edit your fstab if you haven't already
done so. Mount your root filesystem, edit your fstab there and unmount.
* Run the following commands (all in your path):
raidautorun
vgscan
vgchange -a y
Now your logical volumes should be active. If you don't use RAID, you
don't need to run raidautorun. It doesn't hurt if you do either, though (does
nothing then).
* Hit <Alt-F7> to switch back to Yast2
* Click on ok

Now, your old system should be listed under "Selected for Update!" and you
can proceed to untie the package dependencies.

Lastly, don't forget to uncomment your filesystems in your /etc/fstab again
after you're done with the update.

I hope this helps! If you have additional questions, please make sure to
email to my private address too as I'm not actively reading this
mailing-list, i.e. send me an email and the mailing-list in the CC:
header.

Regards, Walter

  • No further messages