Re: [SLE] Time synch problem
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 02:44:07 +0100 (CET)

The Tuesday 2005-02-22 at 15:41 -0800, Randall R Schulz wrote:

> > I think it is not really a loop, only a "cute" way of chaining
> > if/then/else sentences.
>
> Yes, you're right, of course. Too cute by half, I'd say, but I suppose
> that's just because it fooled me.

Mee to. I had to stop and look at it carefully, after you mentioned it.

> > Let me see... the "set" line I don't understand, but the runlevel
> > comand "prints the previous and current system runlevel on its
> > standard output, separated by a single space. If there is no previous
> > system runlevel, the letter N will be printed instead". Ah, it sets
> > the first parameter to "N" and the second ${2} to "5" in my system.
>
> Set does dual duty. It can change shell options and it can set the
> positional parameters. It's the latter use being made in this case. The
> previous and current run levels become $1 and $2, as you note.

Yes, it is a nice trick to separate words, easier and better than the
program "cut" for that purpose, imo. I think you can redefine the word
separator with an environment parameter change: there is at least one of
the suse init scripts that uses that trick, if my memory serves.

But the double dash still confuses me...

> > > Pause for NUMBER seconds. SUFFIX may be 's' for seconds
> > > (the default), 'm' for minutes, 'h' for hours or 'd' for
> > > days. Unlike most implementations that require NUMBER be
> > > an integer, here NUMBER may be an arbitrary floating point
> > > number.
> > >

> > > Note in particular the last sentence.
> >
> > Yes, I use it fairly often. I didn't remember about the floating
> > point, though. Funny, and interesting :-)
>
> I'm not laughing. But I've found it to be handy.

I find funny those little differences beetween linux and "unixes". They
are nice, but when we get back to another machine, it makes dificulties
for us.

--
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson