Re: [SLE] Alternative to lm_sensors?
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 12:42:36 -0800
Jeffrey,

On Wednesday 23 February 2005 12:13, Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:
> Gkrellm will display ACPI temperatures as well as lm_sensor
> temperatures. Don't know which other user-mode packages do. Of
> course, you must have a kernel with ACPI support. When I installed
> SuSE 9.2, ACPI was supported and worked on my desktop (PogoLinux
> Altura with Athlon XP 1800+ and MSI motherboard) and laptop (IBM T41
> Thinkpad).

Thanks for the suggestion. I've installed GKrellM. (By the way, what on
Earth does that name mean or stand for? I've seen it come up on this
list time and time again, and I could never come up with an
interpretation for it.) It's also interesting that the description text
in the YaST installer calls it a utility for managing multiple
monitors...

Having installed it, I find it does find any any sensor data (in the
"Info" tab of the "Sensors" configuration it says "No sensors
detected.").

I run stock SuSE kernels (as updated by YOU, of course). Shouldn't those
include ACPI support? Must I do something special to enable it? I was
under the impression that the default for hardware with ACPI support
(which includes my mainboard) was for the corresponding kernel support
to be enabled and that one had to explicitly disable it when it was
unwanted.

% uname -a
Linux twain 2.6.5-7.145-smp #1 SMP Thu Jan 27 09:19:29 UTC 2005 i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Do you have any further suggestions for me? My first impressions are
that I prefer this application to KSensors, so I'll probably stick with
it. If I can get the ACPI information you describe, that would be even
better.

Thanks again.

Randall Schulz

> Jeffrey
>
> Quoting Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>:
> > Jeffrey,
> >
> > On Tuesday 22 February 2005 22:52, Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:
> > > If you just want a temperature, have you tried ACPI?
> >
> > I don't know what you mean by "try ACPI." Try what with it? What
> > software? Would it allow the user-level software (e.g., KSensors)
> > to display the values reported by the temperature sensors?
> >
> > Randall Schulz

< Previous Next >