Re: [SLE] Load Balancing
  • From: "Ryan McCain" <Ryan.McCain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 17:23:36 -0600
Greg,

Yes, I made a typo. Thanks for the info and the link. ;)

Ryan

>>>Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx> 02/23 4:49 pm >>>
On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 16:23:53 -0600, Ryan McCain
<Ryan.McCain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Heres the goal:
>
>Have all LDAP queries (login purposes) go to serverA, serverA will then

>take that LDAP query and forward it to either serverB, serverC, or
>serverD based on availability and resource usage of each server.
>
>DNS round robin is out of the question. We want true failover, high
>availibilty.
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions? Is LVM a good solution?
>
>SLES 8 (2.4.x kernel)
>
>Thanks,
>Ryan

You meant LVS, not LVM right?

If so, LVS has a good reputation, but I don't know if it handles LDAP or
not.

If you want to consider making serverA a 2-node HA cluster, you could
post your question on Linux-HA. SLES supports the Linux-HA
infrastructure and SUSE provides one of the main Linux-HA developers.

http://www.linux-ha.org/

And I see they even have a link to a 2 year old HA LDAP article:
http://linuxjournal.com/article/5505

You can subscribe at http://www.linux-ha.org/contact/

Greg
--