Re: [SLE] Is there a fix to the broken python sre in 9.2 - or a newer version of python
  • From: Dumb Waiter <dumbwaiter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 02:03:08 +0200
On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 12:38:44 -0500, Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 February 2005 10:54 am, Jon Nelson wrote:
> > If it's a big deal, download and compile the latest sources
> > (2.4something) and install them in your home directory. Try the
> > --prefix=$HOME/python24 as a configure flag.
> >
> > Alternately, you could acquire the source RPM, edit the build flags and
> > rebuild. I find that SuSE's dependencies are way, way overdone but you
> > may have better luck.
>
> Or just use YAST to delete python as it is now (broken) and then reinstall
> from the distro.

If I delete and reinstall python from the Suse 9.2 dvd won't I just
get the broken version deleted and reinstalled? Shouldn't I point Yast
to some other installation source for repaired or newer version
packages?

I'd rather get the newer python version (2.4?) but I read somewhere
that just removing the old version and installing a newer one might
screw the system up somehow.

So keeping the old version and installing the new one to home dir may
be the best option?

I'd prefer using Yast to do it (to be able to uninstall, if.. , and
for dependencies), but I don't know how I could force Yast to install
the stuff in my home dir.

"Editing the build flags" or "using --prefix=$HOME/python24 as a
configure flag" do not really say a lot to me. If I'll download a 2.4
version RPM for Suse how will I go about with changing the flags for
Yast?

And if one installs from source code with Yast by clicking the RPM
when is the moment to wave the -prefix=$HOME/Python24 flag?

The Suse manual (Admin guide / 4.3) sorta scares a newbie away from
trying to fiddle with the parameters lest the skies fall down upon him
to punish for showing such chutzpah.

/DWM