Re: [SLE] Alternative to lm_sensors?
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 07:58:21 -0800
On Wednesday 23 February 2005 12:42, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> Jeffrey,
>
> On Wednesday 23 February 2005 12:13, Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:
> > Gkrellm will display ACPI temperatures as well as lm_sensor
> > temperatures. Don't know which other user-mode packages do. Of
> > course, you must have a kernel with ACPI support. When I installed
> > SuSE 9.2, ACPI was supported and worked on my desktop (PogoLinux
> > Altura with Athlon XP 1800+ and MSI motherboard) and laptop (IBM
> > T41 Thinkpad).
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. I've installed GKrellM. (By the way, what
> on Earth does that name mean or stand for? I've seen it come up on
> this list time and time again, and I could never come up with an
> interpretation for it.) It's also interesting that the description
> text in the YaST installer calls it a utility for managing multiple
> monitors...

"D'Oh!, D'Oh!, D'Oh! Look at me! I'm a big fat idiot!"
(Since we're playing the cultural reference game, I'll leave it to
someone out there to identify that quote...)

From the Description pane of the GKrellM entry in the YaST Install &
Remove module:

"With a single process, GKrellM manages multiple stacked monitors and
supports applying themes to match the monitors appearance to your
window manager, Gtk, or any other theme."

I read "monitors" as video monitors.

Anyway, I'm really liking this application. It's highly customizable,
something I always like.

I still haven't figured out how to get ACPI-derived sensor information
displayed. The man page for GKrellM mentions
"/proc/acpi/thermal_zone/", but on my system, that directory is empty
(and there is no "/proc/acpi/thermal" at all). So maybe my hardware
just doesn't supply thermal information via ACPI.

Now I'm off to look for GKrellM plug-ins.

Thanks again for the GKrellM tip.

Randall Schulz