Re: [SLE] USB drive access light?
  • From: Chris Carlen <crobc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 06:22:41 -0800
Sunny wrote:
On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 14:53:22 -0800, Lew Wolfgang <wolfgang@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Patrick,

I think he did RTFM.

From page 292 of the 9.2 SuSE Administration Guide:

"SUSE Linux supports the automatic detection of moble storage devices
over fireware or USB... The user is completely spared the manual
mounting and unmounting that was found in previous versions of
SUSE LINUX. Device can simply be dosconnected as soon as no
program accesses it."

These devices use SUBFS and SUBMOUNT, of which I know very
little. Maybe they don't buffer writes to IEEE 1394 and USB
storage?

Left as an exercise for the student is determining when "no
program accesses it", which gets back to the backwards light
again...

Regards,
Lew Wolfgang

OP does not specify version. I'm with 9.1 here.

Oops, Suse 9.1.

--
Christopher R. Carlen

< Previous Next >