Re: [SLE] Sometimes Linux makes me crazy.
  • From: Tony Alfrey <tonyalfrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 12:08:02 -0800

Chris Carlen wrote:

contiemilio@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi all
I just bought a notebook for my daughter (Dell Inspiron 510m).
Tested with Knoppix 3.7 (wonderful)
Tested with FreeSBIE 1.0 (see above). Then, yesterday in the afternoon, I tried to install SuSE 9.1: yast did not start in graphical mode or with incredible colours and characters if I changed the screen resolution on boot.
Since I am quite curious I tried SuSE 9.2 (same result), Mandrake 10.0 (same result), SuSE 8.2 (WORKS FINE!!)

Is there anyone thet can explain to me such a behaviour

Ciao
emilio

<snip>

I'm really getting fed up. It's not just Linux's or Suse's or KDE's fault. The software industry is broken, thanks to a large degree to the anticompetitive atmosphere. And the stupidity of the marketplace that demands new features and accepts mediocre quality.

I've considered Mac. I wonder if it's any better?

<snip>

I run SUSE 9.1, 8.1 and various other flavors of linux. But I also run the Free BSD kernel disguised behind a popular GUI known as Mac OS X 10.3 ;-)

And all I can say is that I think it is worth every penny. I love fussing with linux, free or otherwise, working or not. But the Mac is simply awesome. Nothing broken about that end of the software industry.
My $.02

--
Tony Alfrey
tonyalfrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx