Re: [SLE] reverse vnc
  • From: Dan Phillips <wasilla@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 13:19:14 -0900
On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 16:10:50 -0600, Mike <runnin247@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have one more question... since you guys were so responsive with my
> pdf problem :)
>
> Does anyone know of a solution (linux based preferred, others
> considered) to push my desktop to a waiting remote PC?
>
> Kind of like a "reverse vnc", where the other side doesn't have to
> request my display, but rather I just give it to him?
>
> The particular application I'm thinking of is a small projector setup,
> where the box connected to the projector is connected to the network,
> and I can come in, and with this "reverse vnc" process, just push my
> laptop display to the projector PC to get my screen on the projection
> screen, rather than having to connect to my laptop from the
> projector's pc, then go back to my laptop and start my presentation...
>
> Or you want to show a non-techie friend something that you're doing,
> and instead of having him punch in through your firewall to vnc and
> watch, you can just punch out to him, and export your screen? The
> other party doesn't have to have control of my box, just see the
> screen...
>
> anything out there like this ya'll can point me to?
>
> Thanks.
Yah, VNC does exactly that. You can run the vncviewer listening
server. This does exactly what you want. I haven't tried this on
linux so I'm not sure whether they have a viewer server or not. Did
it on windoze w/ realvnc, tridiavnc, and a couple others I've used in
the past.
--
Thanks, Dan
Registered Linux User #373395