Re: [SLE] Sometimes Linux makes me crazy.
  • From: Kastus <NOSPAM@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 15:34:25 -0800
On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 02:17:48PM -0800, Christopher Carlen wrote:

> Too bad they didn't build the Mac OS X on X Window System. Just think
> of the synergy if all Linux X apps could run directly on that, and Apple
> software on Linux PCs.

I would disagree on that. Aqua is much more polished than X11.
But if you need to run an X11 app on Mac OSX, you can easily do it.
Apple provides its own X11 based on XFree 4.3, you can also choose
OroborosX, or Xorg through Fink. I quite often run X11 apps from
SUSE 9.2 box with display on iBook.

> I'm hooked on multiple desktops, CLI (when it is the better tool, not
> because I have to fix some quirky problem), and the fact that it's not MS.

I don't know how to do multiple desktops in Aqua, but Expose compensates
for that lack. Apple's Terminal is nice.

> Maybe I'll try a Mac next time I'm in the market for a new PC.

Believe me, you won't regret.

Regards, -Kastus