Re: [SLE] Sometimes Linux makes me crazy.
  • From: Chris Carlen <crobc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 20:10:02 -0800
Kastus wrote:
On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 02:17:48PM -0800, Christopher Carlen wrote:

Too bad they didn't build the Mac OS X on X Window System. Just think of the synergy if all Linux X apps could run directly on that, and Apple software on Linux PCs.

I would disagree on that. Aqua is much more polished than X11.

But isn't X11 just the low-level API? I mean, you could build *any* GUI out of X. That's why we have KDE and Gnome, because QT and Gtk are higher level APIs that abstract the lower level X into something more approachable and amenable toward developing a consistent UI.

Thus, I don't think there is a technical reason why X couldn't have been the underlying GUI platform.

But if you need to run an X11 app on Mac OSX, you can easily do it.
Apple provides its own X11 based on XFree 4.3, you can also choose
OroborosX, or Xorg through Fink. I quite often run X11 apps from
SUSE 9.2 box with display on iBook.

So you are saying that X can run under OS X effectively? Where does aqua go when that happens?

I'm hooked on multiple desktops, CLI (when it is the better tool, not because I have to fix some quirky problem), and the fact that it's not MS.

I don't know how to do multiple desktops in Aqua, but Expose compensates
for that lack. Apple's Terminal is nice.

What does "Expose" do?

What kind of shell runs in the terminal? Can you run Bash? Are all the UNIX command tools basically there? If so, I might like that.

Maybe I'll try a Mac next time I'm in the market for a new PC.

Believe me, you won't regret.

Interesting.

Ugh. It's so ironic that I actually have to say "I am stuck using Linux because of such&such application." I have a circuit board program that really works well under Linux, that I'd like to stick with. Don't think there's a Mac version.

But still, it's worth checking out next time around.

Good day!

--
Christopher R. Carlen