Re: [SLE] Can one ftp to one's computer?
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 06:58:17 -0800
Carlos,

On Saturday 26 February 2005 04:51, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> The Thursday 2005-02-24 at 18:12 -0800, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> > > The user "anonymous" sees nothing, unless you define a default
> > > tree of files for him to see (/srv/ftp, for example). This does
> > > not depend on the server being chrooted or not.
> >
> > Look closely. It (the server) told him the current directory was
> > "/" and he tried a "cd home" and was told "No such file or
> > directory". That can only be true if the FTP server is running in a
> > chroot jail.
>
> Not really. It also happens if you don't define a default tree
> structure, for the user "anonymous". I know, I tried (with vsftpd in
> my case)
>
> Look:
>
> cer@nimrodel:~> ls /srv/ftp
> cer@nimrodel:~> ftp localhost
> Connected to localhost.
> 220 "Welcome to nimrodel FTP service."
> Name (localhost:cer): anonymous
> 331 Please specify the password.
> Password:
> 230 Login successful.
> Remote system type is UNIX.
> Using binary mode to transfer files.
> ftp> ls
> 229 Entering Extended Passive Mode (|||18629|)
> 150 Here comes the directory listing.
> 226 Directory send OK.
> ftp> pwd
> 257 "/"
> ftp>
>
> ftp> cd home
> 550 Failed to change directory.
> ftp> cd /
> 250 Directory successfully changed.
> ftp> ls
> 229 Entering Extended Passive Mode (|||49268|)
> 150 Here comes the directory listing.
> 226 Directory send OK.
> ftp>
>

> ┬┐Convinced? My anonymous user sees _nothing_.

I don't see the difference. You changed to directory "/" but did not see
the contents of that the server host's root directory (I assume it's
not some kind of phantom Linux with no files in its root directory).

> After I create a file in /srv/ftp, he sees that file - and that is as
> it should be. And no, my vsftpd is not chrooted:
>
> #chroot_local_user=YES
> #chroot_list_enable=YES
> #chroot_list_file=/etc/vsftpd.chroot_list

OK, fine. Vsftp simulates it. From the FTP client's perspective, it's a
distinction without a difference. The "/" is synthesized for the client
and is not the server's "/", so "/home" is not going to provide access
to the server host's "/home".

> --
> Cheers,
> Carlos Robinson