Backup using "mount -t smbfs..."
  • From: Taavi Dovnar <taavid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 17:26:33 +0200 (EET)
I have small script doing backup every week. It has worked nicely, but for
a few weeks it suddenly doesn't work.

--
#!/bin/bash
tobackup="/etc .........."

mount -t smbfs -o username=xxx,password=yyy '\\server2\backup' '/var/local/backup'
tar -czPf /var/local/backup/backup-server1-$kp.tar.gz $tobackup
umount '/var/local/backup'
--

It creates backup file in server1, but does not copy it to server2. I
haven't changed anything in servers configuration I think.

When I enter manually: "mount -t smbfs -o username=xxx,password=yyy
//server2/backup /var/local/backup" it says:

10217: tree connect failed: ERRDOS - ERRnosuchshare (You specified an
invalid share name) SMB connection failed

When I use root & root's password, it mounts nicely. What could be the
reason? I have used this script nicely for months.

  • No further messages