Re: [SLE] adobe acrobat alternative
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 09:14:21 -0800
Danny,

On Saturday 26 February 2005 09:15, Danny Sauer wrote:
> On Saturday 26 February 2005 10:33 am, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> > Danny,
> >
> > On Saturday 26 February 2005 08:33, Danny Sauer wrote:
> > > On Friday 25 February 2005 04:16 pm, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > Clearly, you need more memory. :) Most modern system will accept
> > > 2GB, if not 4 or more. You should have time to kill acroread
> > > before it fills up 2GB of physical memory.
> >
> > I have 1 GB. Brute force cannot be the right way to address this
> > problem.
>
> Maybe you have too much memory, then. The only machine I've ever had
> that problem with is a machine with 128MB physical and 512MB swap
> (and a particularly leaky server daemon, though I've yet to identify
> precisely which one - the machine's running SuSE 5.2 and really
> should just be updated, so I'm not investing time in fixing
> problems). :) Well, my 1.5GB machine hasn't had that problem,
> either. It must be you. :)
>
> > The upshot is that this is a genuine vulnerability that cannot be
> > solved by throwing memory at the system.
>
> Well, if you're gonna make this a serious response, how about by
> implementing per-process memory limits?

I'm not the one who signs every message with a cute slogan. Of course
I'm serious.

And I have considered using limits and I know of the ulimit built-in for
BASH. But that's really neither here nor there, because only rarely are
these programs started via a command submitted to a shell. To be
genuinely helpful, I need something with a wider scope than a limit set
in a shell.

> man bash, search for ulimit - presuming you're using bash. ...
>
> --Danny, who doesn't set limits, largely because of laziness

Randall Schulz

< Previous Next >