Re: [SLE] Sometimes Linux makes me crazy.
  • From: Alex Daniloff <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 10:21:32 -0800
On Saturday 26 February 2005 09:25 am, Ken Schneider wrote:
<snipped>
> <opinion>
>
> How many posts do we get on this list from new users asking for help for
> something that is obvious to the seasoned user but -not- obvious to the
> newbie. And many times all they are told is to google for the answer.
> Instead show them the google link as well to get them started. Keep in
> mind that we were -all- newbies at one point in time. Think back to what
> you had to go through when you first started out and try to make it
> easier for the newbie. This will help more to converting MS users to
> linux in the long run.

The question is why to convert MS users to Linux?
Most of average MS users use their boxes just as another appliance next to a
microwave, toaster music center and such. They do very limited set of tasks -
browsing Internet, reading / sending e-mail, writing / printing simple
documents, listening music, sometimes watching DVDs. That is it.
They don't do any programming and freak out from seeing a command prompt.
Some people buying very specialized appliances like WebTv and such.
They don't give their ignorant damns about what OS their appliance is running.
I totally agree that for Linux users there is a great need in common system
configuration standards and well written documentation.
Graphic system configuration tools is a secondary issue in this respect.

Just my humble opinion.

Alex

< Previous Next >