RE: [SLE] Sometimes Linux makes me crazy.
  • From: "Stephen Furlong" <stephen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 23:12:56 -0000
Does anyone else see this windows vs linux issue from the support point of
view?

Where I work, we supply a whole host of different pc's/networks, both
windows and linux based, as well as hardware/software contracts to companies
with existing setups.

The windows machines that we send out have no end of problems, and always
end up coming back to be cleaned of spyware/virii

The linux machines may as well disappear off the face of the earth (in that
we never hear from then again because they run and run and run)

So from that pov, linux easily wins over windows.

But the other side to the coin is that when were not contracted, and are
just on call out, or have a machine in our workshop that isn't one of ours,
windows machines make us MORE money than linux machines. I don't think ive
ever had a linux machine in that I haven't built or overseen the building of
(im the resident linux guru as the other guys hate linux and love windows
lol).

The point im getting at is that although it's a generally "trash" os, it is
a means to an end. It suits some users and others not, but to cut a long
story short it earns me a monthly salary.

As for the frustrations of linux, its going to be frustrating. Because of
the open-source licence it means theres practiacally no money to be made in
producing/selling linux, so give the guys who do write it a break! It's a
fantastic product and usually works out-of-the-box, and on the few occasions
its not quite right there are plenty of places to look for help, here being
only but one :)

My two cents :)

Sent by freemail.servebeer.com
Signup for your free 100mb Mail account today!
Full pop3/smtp accounts available!!