Re: [SLE] Lost DSL Connection
  • From: Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 18:15:50 -0500
On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 11:57:22 -0700
"William Westfall" <wgwestfall1@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Everything was working fine until I upgraded my DSL through Qwest. I
run the
> DSL via Ethernet and it should be working in SuSE as it did before,
but it
> is not. What settings do you think I need to change?
>
> Funny thing is, when I run Limewire the connection is there, but
anything
> else doesn't work... mozilia,suse update,gaim. The connection is there
and
> works great when I boot into windows. Any ideas?
Standard network stuff:
First, make sure you can ping the gateway using ip address. This
ascertains that you can get out of the box.
Next, ping a local address within your ISP if your know them, such as
DNS servers.
If you can't, then your routing table:
netstat -nr.

Then make sure you have the correct DNS servers set up. You can do this
via YaST or just edit /etc/resolv.conf
Many times, the problem is simply that you don't have any DNS servers
configured.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
Boston Linux and Unix user group