Re: [SLE] Sometimes Linux makes me crazy.
  • From: William H Lugg <wlugg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 17:53:03 -0700
On Saturday 26 February 2005 16:12, Stephen Furlong wrote:
> Does anyone else see this windows vs linux issue from the support point of
> view?
>
> Where I work, we supply a whole host of different pc's/networks, both
> windows and linux based, as well as hardware/software contracts to
> companies with existing setups.
>
> The windows machines that we send out have no end of problems, and always
> end up coming back to be cleaned of spyware/virii

I just recently, out of morbid curiosity, clicked a link to a report that
upgrading to Windows XP was something like 66% cheaper that going to Linux
for a major company (can't remember the name). The report was laughable in
some respects (looked like it was sponsored by M$). In it the statement was
made that when Linux was made available to users, they didn't like it because
they couldn't do what they could in Windows and the keyboard shortcuts were
different. This made me laugh, because I've used Windows for a long time and
have found a large variety of things that I CAN do in Linux that I can't do
in Windows.

As far as upgrading is concerned, I've found that the typical upgrade of
Windows involves safeguarding my data, formating the drive, installing the
new version, reinstalling all the S/W I use (and after about 20-30 restarts)
and lots of tweaking and configuration. I just went from SuSE 9.0 to 9.2 on
one of my machines at home and within a few hours, I was up and running in
the new OS with absolutely no issues or problems. This is definitely
preferable to the Windoze approach.

All that said, when I look at where I work, Microsoft has a choke hold on the
Air Force. The sad thing is that if the Air Force suddenly decided to go to
Linux (and there are rumblings that this may actually be happening), there
would probably be a huge outcry from the populace that they could no longer
do their jobs as efficiently. I think it's fear of the unknown that scares
folks off of something new like Linux.

[Snip]

> The point im getting at is that although it's a generally "trash" os, it is
> a means to an end. It suits some users and others not, but to cut a long
> story short it earns me a monthly salary.
>
> As for the frustrations of linux, its going to be frustrating. Because of
> the open-source licence it means theres practiacally no money to be made in
> producing/selling linux, so give the guys who do write it a break! It's a
> fantastic product and usually works out-of-the-box, and on the few
> occasions its not quite right there are plenty of places to look for help,
> here being only but one :)

As I said above, I've found Linux to be much LESS frustrating than Windows on
the whole. The only place Windows might be a little better is in the area of
support for bleeding edge hardware. As has been stated before, that is only
because most of the H/W manufacturers don't see Linux as any more than a
tinkerer's or computer geek's OS ("Let them write it themselves" seems to be
their attitude).

> My two cents :)

Now we have four cents... :-)
----