Re: [SLE] Sometimes Linux makes me crazy.
  • From: William H Lugg <wlugg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 19:48:19 -0700
On Saturday 26 February 2005 18:12, Stephen Furlong wrote:
> >I just recently, out of morbid curiosity, clicked a link to a report that
> >upgrading to Windows XP was something like 66% cheaper that going to Linux
>
> Any chance of a link?

Well, I can't find the link now. I did this at work, so Ill have to check it
there when I get back in on Monday. However, If you go to
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/facts/default.mspx
You can see a whole boat load of propaganda pointed at Linux.

FWIW, I've noticed that all of these seem to be pointed at conversion of an
existing infrastructure from Windows to Linux. Of course initial costs and
training will be higher. I don't believe that the bean counter are looking
far enough into the future, however to see the cost savings of using Linux.

Ironically, the project I'm working on right now is a port of a MS Access
application to Linux, MySQL and Qt for the GUI. Our initial study found the
costs to be about 3 to 1 in favor of Windows in the short-term. However, if
you consider the fact that this upgrade is being driven by the
unsupportability of the Win95 platform upon which the system was originally
built and the fact that we'll be in the same boat in a few years when Win2K
is no longer supported, the Linux approach is a good one. We are also
finding that using this approach is opening up new functionality that we only
dreamt of with Access.

It's also worth noting that we had a Linux network up and running in about a
week. There have been a few hiccups along the way, but we have only needed
to reboot the Linux server in the past year to get our version control
software working and a few other times for S/W installation issues. Our Win
NT server gets restarted about once a week for one problem or another.

[Snip]
----
Bill Lugg
Milstar Software Support